11.11.05

Holiday Listening

I want to give warmest wishes and thanks to veterans on this day. Here's a brief list of music appropriate to the day. My criteria were: 1) some relation to the first World War, 2) something about a soldier's life, and/or 3) music about peace (in light of the original intent of the holiday).

Benjamin Britten, War Requiem
John Adams, The Wound Dresser
Vincent Persichetti, A Lincoln Address
Terry Riley, Salome Dances for Peace
Elliott Carter, Adagio tenebroso, from Symphonia: Sum Fluxae Pretium Spei
Charles Ives, Three Songs of the War
Igor Stravinsky, l'Histoire du soldat

Please remember the sacrifice of soldiers and their families, and work for peace so that sacrifice can be more rare.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Hi Steve. Very good list; some pieces here I wasn't aware of. Did you consider Vaughan Williams' Dona Nobis Pacem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch. I had forgotten that one. And many others, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete